Did Jesus emphasize prayer in his own earthly ministry?
Look at how many times the gospels highlight his prayer life:
- He prayed at his baptism—Luke 3:21
- His prayers gave his ministry direction—Mark 1:35
- He frequently prayed despite a heavy ministry schedule—Luke 5:16
- He prayed all night before choosing apostles—Luke 6:12-13
- His all-night praying produced miracles—Matthew 14:23-25
- He prayed to open his disciples’ hearts—Luke 9:18-20
- His prayers transformed him—Luke 9:28-29
- His prayers were impelled by the Holy Spirit—Luke 10:21
- His prayers inspired the disciples to imitate him—Luke 11:1-13
- He prayed for the children—Matthew 19:13-14
- His prayers raised the dead—John 11:41-42
- His praying kept his mission in perspective—John 12:27-28
- His gratitude produced thanksgiving in his prayers—Matthew 14:19 & 26:26-27
- He interceded in prayer for the disciples—Luke 22:31-32
- He prayed for his church on the night before his crucifixion—John 17:1-26
- He prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane—Luke 22:39-46
- He prayed while on the cross—Luke 23:34, 46
These seventeen peeks into Jesus’ prayer life make the point—he considered praying to his Father a non-negotiable, vital part of his life’s mission on earth.
“Is it not written; ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’?” -Jesus (Mark 11:17 NIV)
Why do you think many Christ-followers find prayer ineffective?
Powerful lesson ,I have learned from Jesus life of prayer.
Thanks for your comment, Chisola! I’m inspired to hear how the Lord teaches you to pray. God bless.